Monday, May 24, 2010

Miralax...not exactly the "miracle" it claims to be

So one of the not-so-lovely side effects of chemo is that it can do one of two things…it can give you horrendous diarrhea OR constipation that makes you think you need to Rota-rooter your insides. This week it is the latter for me. I’ve been taking the Miralax for the last three days to no avail. It really isn’t the “miracle” they claim it to be on the bottle or in their commercials.

Friday was chemo day. I’m finding that the effects are getting longer and harder now. I used to bounce back so quickly…but now it’s drawing out and really becoming an impediment to my social life. My blood counts were down really low this week too. That was really kind of shocking to me since I felt SO GOOD going into chemo this week. I was really energetic and feeling really good on Thursday. So to be told on Friday that my blood counts were getting really close to the point where they don’t let you have the treatment…well…let’s just say I was shocked. Apparently my little bone marrow is about to call in a vacation/sick day. It’s just working really hard and is apparently getting “tired”. So now I’m on a quest to eat as much red meat and green-leafy veggies as possible. No more Taco Bueno…only good, solid, home cooked meals for the next two weeks. I’ve gotta get those counts back up so I can stay on schedule.

Speaking of schedules…my last treatment is scheduled for July 30th. Which means that I will be officially D-O-N-E by August 1st. Why is this important? I’m a goal maker, a list crosser-offer, a finish line oriented person. So being that 1 is my lucky number…I’m really bull headed about making that August 1st goal. I realize that sometimes people just need a week long break to let their bone marrow get back up to speed…but damn it…August 8th just doesn’t have the same ring to it as August 1st does. So let’s all say a little prayer for the next two weeks that my bone marrow will start to produce what it needs to keep my counts up and keep me on schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment